Kidney Transplant Cost in India
A Kidney Transplantation isa method of surgery used to treat chronic kidney failure. A sick or failed kidney is replaced with a healthy kidney from a deceased individual or a match donor. By excreting waste through urine, the kidneys filter waste metabolites from the body and purify the blood.
A Kidney Transplant in India is one of the most popular organ transplantation procedures. This surgery gives patients a second chance of life with end-stage renal failure, often known as kidney failure.
The Cost of Kidney Transplants in India, including pre-transplant examination, surgery, and other expenses, is relatively lower than the cost of surgery in many other developed nations.
What is a Kidney?
The kidneys are two bean-shaped extremely flexible organs responsible for blood filtration. Your kidneys serve many different functions. They remove toxins and waste from your blood. Nitrogen waste (urea), muscle waste (creatinine), and acids are instances of common waste products. They help your body to remove these toxins. Every minute, your kidneys filter around half a cup of blood. The kidneys also :
- Regulate your blood’s acid-base balance (pH balance).
- If your blood sugar is low, make sugar (glucose).
- Make renin, a protein that raises blood pressure.
- Calcitriol and erythropoietin are produced. Calcitriol is a kind of vitamin D that helps in the absorption of calcium in the body. Erythropoietin helps in the production of red blood cells in the body.
Each kidney has an adrenal gland on top of it. It generates chemicals such as cortisol, which aids your body’s response to stress. People with diabetes or high blood pressure are more likely to have kidney problems. Accidents or trauma, such as car crashes or sports injuries, can also be harmful to your kidneys.
In the case of total renal failure, however, our kidneys are no longer able to eliminate hazardous waste products into the urine. We progress disease as the consistent ratios of waste materials in the bloodstream increase.
Kidney failure is classified into two categories. Acute Renal Failure, which can develop as a result of a sudden damage to the kidneys, causes the kidneys to stop working for a short period of time before recovering partially or completely. Chronic Renal Failure is a gradual sickness in which the kidneys get permanently damaged over time, often many years. An infection, diabetes, hypertension, or genetic disorders can all cause this medical condition. End-stage renal disease refers to advanced chronic renal failure, in which your kidneys no longer work.
What is Kidney Transplantation in India?
Kidney Transplantation in India is a surgical procedure that involves implanting a healthy donor kidney into a patient who has end-stage renal disease (ESRD). ESRD is the slow decrease of kidney function caused by chronic kidney disease (CKD), and it may necessitate dialysis or a transplant. When your kidneys are no longer able to filter waste properly, you will need dialysis (a machine that removes waste from your bloodstream) or a kidney transplant. Renal transplantation is one of the most effective treatments for patients with end-stage renal disease. A kidney donation or transplant is possible as a person can live with only one completely working kidney. There are several Types of Kidney Transplants Available in India:
- Living Donor Transplant: A kidney is removed from a living, healthy donor during a Living Donor Transplant in India. To prevent the misuse of the law, living donors can include direct family members and possibly relatives, which must be approved by NOTTO (National Organ and Tissue Transplant Organisation).
- ABO Incompatible Kidney Transplant in India- A type of kidney transplant in which donors and recipients with different blood types may be considered for surgery by administering immunosuppressants before and after the procedure to reduce the chance of organ rejection.
Kidney Transplantation in India is approved on an individual basis. However, there are several general criteria that may preclude a person from receiving a kidney transplant, such as:
- A major medical condition that makes surgery hazardous.
- Infection that recurs (returns).
- A relatively short life expectancy.
- Abuse of drugs or alcohol.
Your healthcare professional may determine whether a kidney transplant is a safe treatment choice for you, no matter your situation.
What are the Advantages of Having Kidney Transplant?
The major Advantage of a Successful Kidney Transplant is independence. There is relief from the monotony of dialysis. Dialysis is not going to require a restriction on drinking water and fluids. The diet is no longer restricted. It is possible for them to take a relaxing vacation, return to regular life, and regain the ability to conceive children.
Potency returns to men, and a regular sexual life is possible. After a successful transplant, a person feels better because anemia, bone disease, and chronic fatigue are no longer present. Full-time employment may be difficult while on dialysis, but it is achievable following a transplant.
What Happens During Kidney Transplantation in India?
- In India, kidney transplantation involves placing a healthy kidney into your body, where it can fulfill all of its functions that a failing kidney cannot.
- In the Best Kidney Transplant Hospitals in India, your new kidney is surgically implanted on the lower right or left side of your abdomen, where it is attached to surrounding blood arteries. Because the kidney is in this position, it may easily connect to blood arteries and your bladder. Your replaced kidney’s vein and artery are connected to your vein and artery. The ureter of the new kidney is connected to your bladder and allows urine to exit your body.
- After a kidney transplant in India, most people stay in the hospital for three to five years. This allows your medical team to keep a close check on you and ensure your recovery is going smoothly.
- Your freshly donated kidney may begin functioning immediately. Alternatively, you may require dialysis until it begins to function. This could take a few days or weeks.
- You’ll also need to start taking medication to prevent your immune system from rejecting your new kidney transplant.
What is the Cost of Kidney Transplantation in India?
The minimum Cost of Kidney Transplant in India starts from USD 13,000. Considering pre-transplant evaluation, surgery, and other fees, that is considerably lower than the cost of surgery in many other nations. The overall cost of a kidney transplant in India is also affected by the following factors:
- Donor Availability
- The severeness of the patient’s condition
- The type of transplant that is necessary
- The hospital’s location, type, and clinical infrastructure
- Duration of Stay in the Hospital
- The surgeon’s expertise and fee
- Other laboratory testing and diagnostics
- Other considerations include the type of accommodation chosen, your period of stay in India, travel arrangements, food, and other minor charges.
Success Rate of Kidney Transplantation in India
Medical and technological advancements are enabling patients with chronic renal failure to live a long, comfortable, and healthy life. Because of the best hospitals and surgeons in India, the success rate of kidney transplants in India is extremely high.
However, the outcomes of a kidney transplant procedure may differ from patient to patient. This is primarily determined by the patient’s overall health and ability to adapt to a new way of life.
Best Hospitals for Kidney Transplantation in India
The majority of hospitals in India that provide Kidney Transplant are recognised by JCI and NABH, which is a mark for giving the best and highest quality of health treatment to patients. These hospitals also offer cutting-edge infrastructure that provides a comfortable environment for its patients. These facilities can provide excellent care to patients undergoing Kidney Transplantation by utilizing cutting-edge medical technology and highly trained and experienced nursing staff. They also offer emergency and ambulatory care 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
India’s healthcare sector is far more evolved and developed than that of many other world leaders. This has placed India in an excellent position as a healthcare tourism destination. India is home to cutting-edge hospitals that serve patients from all around the world. India’s hospitals have world-class facilities, and the country’s Top Kidney Transplant Surgeons are exceptionally talented and skilled, with many years of expertise. Furthermore, the two most appealing qualities that attract medical tourists are the quality of care and the availability of fairly priced therapy. When superior quality is available at a reasonable price, it is an unmatched advantage that has done wonders for Indian medical tourism.